Sunday, December 7, 2008

Nairobi National Zoo

So from the pyramids I left Egypt *alone* to come back to Kakamega- BUT I missed my flight halfway there. Nairobi to Kisumu. So I spent the day at the zoo. It was a monday morning, which apparently is the perfect day to go I was the only one there. I mentioned up front to the guide, David. If you make it worth my while I will do the same for you.
At first he just gave me a lot of history regarding big animals... bla bla bla... until I started telling him about my lions at home. When he saw the photos of the Great Danes his mood changed. He walks over to the door of the adult cheetah cage. Opens and says, 'come. come' I wasn't sure if he just wanted to see alive feeding or what but I didn't even hesitate.
I walked in... to my little piece of heaven. Those who know me know that big, furry animals are my favorite. It was such a highlight of this whole trip. There were three, they watched me very closely but weren't shy. Rolling on their backs, licking my arms chasing each other. I will not forget the feeling. It was all very comforting to me. 
The baby lion was a little different. The cage cleaner goes ahead of me in the cage and the little 7 month old, named Kimberly (very common name over here for masculine)  jumps on him, playfully but fully unaware of his own strength and bite. I did pet him and play with him but could not stay close for very long. Not because I wouldn't have tried. They would not allow me :) It was still incredible. I wanted to take them with me. It was a good day, I tipped those who participated and left. very nice.

1 comment:

  1. That's freakin Awesome Katie! What a blast that would be, I love the pic of you just cuddling with the Cheetah, very cool. What an experience of a lifetime! I hope you are doing well, your accident story is very interesting, I felt the same in my mission in Mexico, the Police were a joke and the Healthcare is so sad it's not even funny, nothing can compare to America. Thanks for all your fun stories and insight, take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete