Monday, December 8, 2008

Safari

I flew into Nairobi on Sunday morning. Spent the day... updating the blog shmog that was three weeks behind. hey-you do what you can with dial up. That night I stayed at the hotel to eat. Such good food, I was thoroughly enjoying myself until a large, very large man came over and asked to join me. awkward- He was from Pakistan spoke very little english but managed to keep repeating this phrase “ I have two wife’s but need three ” Needless to say I missed dessert. 

Monday morning started at 6:00 am. I met the two other women I would be joining. A mother and her daughter from Phili. We became friends quickly. So we drove out of Nairobi north towards Samburu. We passed through rich agricultural farmland, which looked like someone had copy and pasted The Netherlands, very green smooth fields with flowers. Did not look like Africa. Stopped at the equator had the demonstration of the water, clockwise and counterclockwise. Pretty interesting. Continued to the base of Mt. Kenya with mainly dry scrubland and open Savannah plains. 

We saw some game on the way in to the Lodge, Zebras, Elands and lots of birds. 
Samburu Serena Lodge and Resort is very nice... too nice. You are rolling through the Savannah and then you suddenly drop into a beautiful lush green tropical themed paradise. Most of the staff is decked out in Masai attire. I thought Ogio might appreciate this photo above. 
The monkeys are everywhere. Very playful, tonight one tugged at my pants and wouldn't let go. I had to kick it- not really he let go after a while. They make me smile, the hotel staff with turn on the sprinklers when they are around. One mans pain is another mans..er. girls pleasure. By the end of the week they will be hanging out at room number 56 :) 
This is a dic dic, they are everywhere in the reserve. Not very shy, about the size of a lab. We saw one head butting another today.
The vervet monkeys are also everywhere. Not a hard species to point out :)
I think the Lions had just finished eating, they were pretty lazy. David, our driver had to lock the doors because I kept trying to get out. 
Notice the bird in the buffalo's nose. wow, how annoying . Or perhaps a luxury, how nice to never have the need to blow your nose. The buffalo were huge! 
The Oryx, after seeing this photo I now know the meaning of "deer in headlights" phrase. They were beautiful. We saw probably 15 of them grouped together and their tails spin like little motors. Funny to watch, they tend to turn from you too. So you just see their white bums, tails shaking. Groovy-

The safari was fun. Tomorrow morning we get up at 6 am to see the early morning sessions. Then we are off to a Samburu village to see locals. After that more game drives.

This whole thing is kind of torturing me. Big fuzzies but no touching-

No comments:

Post a Comment