Saturday, November 8, 2008

Day One and Two




28 hours of flying. The photo of the 12 month old lab was my buddy sitting next to me on my first leg. On his way to his owner in the German Military. Flights were long but empty so I had four rows to myself trans-atlantic. ( whoo- hoo ... hello Ambien ) We started from; SLC to Atlanta, Atlanta to Brussels, Brussels to Bunkjara ( Burundi ) and finally to Nairobi. 40 zombies walking into the hotel, it was a long trip. 

This is half the group that I arrived with on Friday, the other 30 got in tonight. (sat) Thanks again to "Ogio" who provided a great deal on luggage. You can see that the offer was taken advantage of. 


The first day, Saturday was a free day. We ran some errands gathered last minute items ( salt and ketchup ) and then went to the giraffe zoo. This was Lydia laying one on me. Just for some information a giraffes heart weighs 28 lbs! 

This is Shauna Light who runs "In Our Own Quiet Way), the outreach group we joined up with this year. And Bernadine is next to her. A  bubble of energy, very cute girl. Is the sole survivor o of her family of five. now lives in Germany but has dedicated her life to the people in Kakamega. A will of steel. So far we only have two people down that are sick, but getting better. The weather has been clouded with occasional drizzle. All over you see "Obama". The paper's read " What Obama will do for his Kenya". Pretty crazy stuff. It is now a National Holiday in Kenya. I am not sure how much internet access I will have once we leave tomorrow for the bush lands. It's been incredible. I love the sim cards and buying minutes. It has been a huge asset to the team. Cant wait to get in the heart of the villages. 



8 comments:

  1. How long did it take to clean up your face after the Giraff slimed it? Get to hear from you and see the pictures. It looks like your having a good time! After the 1st leg of the trip was over, were the next seat partners any better than the cute lab? Oh! We miss you and pray for you and your mission. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did it take to clean your face after the giraff slimed it? And after the 1st leg of the trip, were your next seat partners any better than the cute lab? We miss you and pray for the groups cause. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you keep this updated, it's pretty interesting...Hope you are safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Katie...I'm still jealous of your experience.

    Be safe,

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you keep this up, it's pretty interesting to see what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I could never handle that kind of a flight, nor could Shalise, she would die!!! She hates flying. What troopers you all are. I bet you're having a good time and having a lot of fun with all the people down there! Be carefull and take care of yourself! I'll look forward to seeing more blogs when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate-you are awesome! KC misses you and so do we at the Jensen compound. We are excited all is going so well. Be safe and have a blast!

    ReplyDelete