Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pediatric Ward


This was the young boy that captured my heart. James is what they called him. He was all over the place. He reminded me of a little "Opie" curious and full of discovery. He would play full heartedly with anyone and anything. After review of his case it was determined that he could not be operated on. If you look at his left arm  in the second photo below you will notice that it is abnormally large, tumor. When Doctor Faux and Williams were examining the child they found more under his armpit spreading towards his chest. It was the first time for me to hear a no. But of course he didn't understand, he wanted the balloon that the nurses had blown up using an old medical glove. 

He was so happy. He loved seeing the hospital uniforms. He would squeal with delight when you got close. I took my polaroid the last day and took photos of all the children that could not be helped. We gave the photos to the children's parents. They didn't understand and we didn't tell them. We just smiled and told them that their children were beautiful. They loved the instant photos.
Mackenzie playing with James above. 

Dan Faber also known as Mcgiver seen below carrying one of the children post operation. 

So many beautiful children. One of the cleft pallet operations pictured below. The blanket is from a local Utah young women's ward. 

Linda one of the recovery nurses holding a small child post surgery. 

This is Deena, the mission coordinator and Caprice. Burns from a fire caused his right hand to close to a permanent fist. 6 hours of surgery, Doctor Crofts and Doctor Williams opened each finger, used a graft from his lower pelvic area and in a few months he will be throwing baseballs like other boys his age.... or getting into trouble :) 

This ward was the hardest for me to capture. It was hard for me and I think many to understand. So many beautiful faces, unyielding smiles and hope. Although much was done, surgeries were performed, children were helped- still so many left undone, most due to circumstances outside the medical teams control. It's hard to see a new life cut short, doesn't make sense. 
Death is very foreign to me

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog....I hope you are doing well in Kakamega...I have been thinking of you from the minute we left Cairo. I think it is great what you are doing and I can't even imagine all the fabulous experiences you will get to share when you come back! Keep us posted on all the scoop. Love you guts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie... the pics are fantastic! You;re doing an amazing work.

    Suck the marrow out of this experience, I'm thrilled for you to be in Egypt.

    Be safe,

    G

    ReplyDelete