Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Medical Mission



Well the medical mission was finished last week. I don't know if anyone slept. The doctors and nurses dedicated well over 12 hours and more each day. What a huge success. Most of the wounds we were able to treat it was just " a moth to the flame effect". Endless cases.
The biggest case for me to see was a machete case. "Charles" a farmer was out doing some work when a gang attacked him. He raised his arm up to protect his face and almost lose the whole arm. Doctor Crofts and Doctor Faux performed a seven hour surgery with the machete case. Fascinating.
Lots of cleft lip surgery and club foot. The children's pediatric is a hard one to visit. So many children to fall in love with only to learn that they won't be there long. The week was incredible. Dan Faber a anesthesiologist was mcgiver all week. He took some aluminum foil and got monitors working. Everyone put far more work in then required. Lots more stories but I'll keep you in suspense until I can get some visual stimulation up :)

Egypt is dirty... and fun :) I am very dog deprived, it's hard for me not to touch every fuzzy puppy I see until I see their skin falling off on the other side :)Driving through Israel was a totally different feeling, very clean and safe. Jordan has been an adventure. I am just headed to my turkish bath and tomorrow Petra to see the Treasury and monastery

2 comments:

  1. Thats so crazy! Your stories remind me of my mission, just being in third world countries, and being able to serve those around you. I bet you are having a blast, although I'm sure it has it's very difficult and hard times, hang in there! I know you are probably overwhelemed with all that needs to be done, so many to help, and I bet you've felt the appreciation of those around you and the great experience of serving others! Good Job Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be having a lot of awesome experiences! What a world traveler you're turning into. Did the 5k race ever take place? We enjoy keeping up with you through your blog.
    Be careful out there. Love, Aunt Sharrie

    ReplyDelete